Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:08:35 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, KOJIMA Hajime <kjm@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: Propolice for gcc-2.95.2

In message <20001116170042.A58481@citusc17.usc.edu> Kris Kennaway writes:
: > I'd worry about putting this into the base system.  First, I'd worry
: > about the performance impact of all this extra code in the base
: > system.  Second, I'd worry about bitrot when we move to new versions
: > of the source.
:
: Performance shouldn't be an issue unless you enable the extra bounds
: checking at compile time.

Right.  I guess I'd worry about this being enabled by default as a way
of "solving" all stack smashing problems.  If it is just a knob to
enable for those that want to enable it, I'd be cool with that.

: Bitrot is certainly an issue, though. We should at least allow world
: to be built using a propolice-enabled compiler - though that should be
: fairly automatic just using CC and CFLAGS.

My concern would be if we put this into the 2.95.2 tree that we have.
I'd have no problems with making this "easy" to enable.

Warner