Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:43:48 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Releases

Jeff Love <jl@burghcom.com> probably said:
> I did have a problem after a cvsup on 04/08/2001, as the 'cim' sound
> kernel module would not compile. I eliminated the subdirectory listing in the
> Makefile, and it simply did not attempt to compile the module. Why was the
> kernel make compiling modules for devices I did not set in my config? I
> suppose I'm either missing something, or I need to RTFM over again...

Modules are, by definition, not included in the kernel. They are
loaded and added to the monolithic kernel.

You can load a module at any time and gain support for what that
module does (assuming module form exists for that hardware) or you can
compile it into the monolithic kernel.  By default all modules are
built, in case you want to use them.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu