Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:01:27 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>, W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A tricky PPP + Routing question

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Sure, you can set the routing as Andrew suggests, and it'll work, but
> what's the name of your machine?  nanguo.chalmers.com.au?  Or
> robert9.lnk.telstra.net?  You can certainly get them to change the
> name of the link (if they get silly, point to 139.130.136.133), but
> you end up with all sorts of problems: some (broken, but paranoid) ftp
> servers will refuse you access (try ftp.guug.de, for example), your
> mail will go out with suggestions in the headers ``may be forged'',
> you may end up with hanging NFS mounts, and other things that I
> haven't thought of.
>
> The correct answer is that your end of the PPP link should have an
> address in your IP domain.

If your end of the link doesn't originate or receive services (ie its just
a router, such as a Cisco/Bay/Ascend box), then what they're asking isn't
a problem (provided they don't screw up the routing, of course...).

It's only a problem if your router is something that can originate or
receive services, ie Robert's FreeBSD box.

The alternative is to use your FreeBSD router with natd, and hide your
network behind the router (which you get the carrier to name correctly
if they can).  This largely means your legit class C address space is
wasted, and it becomes hard to have multiple hosts directly accessible
from the internet in general :-(.  It might mean somewhat more security
for systems in your private network, so long as your router isn't
compromised.

I'll stay off the soapbox about Telstra and ISDN....

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia