Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:05:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Changing the load address of the kernel?

Hi,

I'm trying to change the load address of the kernel, but
without success.  The default seems to be f0100000 (causing the
bootloader to load it at 00100000).  I tried to change it to
f0400000.  I changed the load address in two files:

   /sys/i386/conf/Makefile.i386   (one line)
   /sys/kern/link_aout.c          (two lines)

The bootloader (I'm using rawboot from a floppy) correctly
loads the kernel to 00400000, but it hangs right after that.
Did I miss anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm using a 3.0-19981103-SNAP with ELF userland and aout
kernel.  I searched the mailing list archives on this topic,
but without success.

Background of the problem:  I'm trying to boot a diskless
computer with a network boot ROM by LanWorks
(www.lanworks.com).  They require to make a bootable floppy
first, then put an image of that floppy on a tftp server.
The ROM loads that image, makes a RAM disk from it and boots
it.  The problem is:  That RAM disks seems to overlap with the
kernel at 00100000.  There doesn't seem to be a way to change
the location of the RAM disk.

BTW, I also tried to contact InCom (www.incom.de) for boot
ROMs, but they're completely unresponsive.  The demo version
that they offer is from 1995 and doesn't seem to support any
PCI FastEthernet cards.  :-(

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany