Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:23:25 -0500
From:      "Blake Crosby" <dev@samurai.com>
To:        "Jim Dixon" <jdd@dixons.org>, "Blake Crosby" <dev@samurai.com>
Cc:        <isp-webhosting@isp-webhosting.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Restricting Users Geographically

Someone on another list posted this possible solution:

If you have money, I think that Akamai might be able to do this
for you. It wouldn't be terribly accurate, but well, that's how
those things go.

However, this is something that alot of people putting alot of time
into developing (judging by recent headlines
about gambling sites) .

The best way I think you could do this is to get a copy of the
radb (www.radb.net, or www.ra.net) get compile a list of ASN's
that you think are 'canadian ' enough, and hack together
some filters using Zebra (if you can find a peer) whereby you
generate ipfw or route filters based upon routing information
from your list of 'canadian' ASNs.

In fact, you could generate a list of 'canadian' AS's, and
write a route map that only accepts routes with an Origin in
this list. Make sure that this route map doesn't use a default route,
so that incoming traffic from ASN's outside your list won't be
reachable. Apply this route map to an the interface/session your
mirror is sitting on, and you are good to go.

Have I done this? No. Will it work? Probably.