Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 10:36:12 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Steven Plite <splite@purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft its own country?

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Steven Plite wrote:

> Had a good laugh from the Microsoft home page:
>
> > Do You Live in a Country Outside the U.S.?
> > Are you looking for local content? Our worldwide sites
> > feature content from 52 countries in 41 languages. Come
> > see what's there for you!
>
> Is it possible Microsoft is starting to feel a bit isolated here in the US?
> And why would anyone go to a Microsoft site for non-English content when
> they can't write decent English to begin with?

And their Israeli site is another example of Bill's the-world-is-me
philosophy. They display Hebrew in a way that can only be viewed in IE 4.0
on Win95, so if you use Netscape, or you're not running Win95, you're out
of luck. The bad thing is that they get other sites to use this method
too, mostly people who don't understand what they're doing.

BTW, last week a newspaper here found out that a government site (don't
remember which, sorry), had IIS and BackOffice promotions on its home
page. When they checked out with that ministry's spokesman, they were told
that they simply installed IIS and didn't know how to change some of the
default headers it displays or something. Just to show you how
knowledgable are the people who manager those sites, or how deep Billy
goes ;-<

Nadav