Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2012 09:04:25 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions about/issues with new OPTIONS framework

(Please keep me CC'd, as I'm not subscribed to the list)

I've been trying to adapt my /etc/make.conf to make use of the new
OPTIONS framework.  I've run into some snags that I was hoping someone
could help me with, as I'm unable to find any "official" documentation
other than these two documents, which don't help me in this case:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/Options/OptionsNG
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-options.html

Below are my questions so far.  Note that these questions are all
preceded by a key fact: /var/db/ports/* is completely empty.  Keep that
in mind please.

1. databases/mysql55-server and databases/mysql55-client both ask for
the same variables (OPENSSL and FASTMTX).  I want FASTMTX to be enabled
by default for both ports.

When I have the following in /etc/make.conf:

mysql_SET=	FASTMTX

Doing "make config" in databases/mysql55-server shows FASTMTX as checked
(which is correct).  However, when I do the exact same procedure in
databases/mysql55-client, FASTMTX is not checked.

I am aware that databases/mysql55-client is a slave port, but I'm not
sure how/why that would matter...?

What am I doing wrong, or is this a port bug which needs to be fixed by
the maintainer?

2. ports/KNOBS is very explicit in stating, and even visually
demonstrating (using pipe symbols to delimit length maximums and so
on), the following:

#  - Knob description must be 45 characters or less

Yet, a very good number of descriptions violate this (see the file for
yourself).  I'm inclined to think the limit is to be extra friendly
towards 80-column terminals, but I'm still not sure.  Is this
45-character-limit untrue, or are numerous descriptions blatantly too
long?

Thanks.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |