Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 2002 00:52:58 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@mrincubator.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel errors

Mark Filipak wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Please do not respond. I know I'm wrong. Don't bother telling me.
>
> As a lurking engineer with a background in sysarchitecture, I followed
> this thread closely, though I don't know a 'make buildkernel' from a
> 'make installworld'.
>
> This thread illustrates what scares the hell out of me about getting
> into the water at this beach.
>
> There appears to be no casual use of fbsd. You either freeze dry your
> system and ignore security alerts, or you dedicate your life to
> following the STABLE branch, or you die.
>
> Or maybe you dedicate your life and die anyway.
>
> If you forget one little thing and a shark comes by, maybe you can find
> help in time and maybe you can't, but there are too many undocumented or
> poorly documented details to be able to depend upon your own abilities
> and still sleep soundly.
>
> The experiences of David LeCount and of Bernardo Brummer seem to be far
> too common. Jeez, the meanings of error messages aren't even documented.
>
> FreeBSD - forever young.
>
> Ciao -- Mark
>
> Please do not respond. I know I'm wrong. Don't bother telling me.

1) If noone should respond, so don't write.
2) Read the handbook. There is written
   a) make buildkernel [KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL]
   b) make installkernel [KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL]
   c) reboot to single user mode (detailed)
   d) mount -u /
   e) mount -a -t ufs
   f) swapon -a
   g) cd /usr/src
   h) make buildworld && make installworld && mergemaster && reboot

So yes, you are wrong. But you're because you do not read but write.

Kind regards
Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W