Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Garance A Drosehn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/34562: pkg_tarup-1.2_3 has invalid distinfo name preventing update to it and portupgrade-20020128

The following reply was made to PR ports/34562; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garance A Drosehn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, info@netarmor.net
Cc: knu@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 00:17:15 -0500

 I ran into this same problem with portupgrade referencing pkg_tarup, and
 pkg_tarup (apparently?) having moved in the ports-tree.

 In my case, what I did was 'pkg_deinstall -f pkg_tarup', which
 complained because it knew portupgrade wanted pkg_tarup, but it did it
 anyway.  Then I assumed that the missing pkg_tarup would cause trouble
 if I tried to run portupgrade, so I made pkg_tarup by hand:

     cd /usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_tarup
     make && make install && make clean
     /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -F

 This seemed to fix up the pkg_tarup problems, on both my -current and
 -stable systems.  I then tried to upgrade portupgrade itself, and I was
 able to do that on my -current system, but I ran into a different set of
 troubles in my -stable system.  My -stable system was last rebuilt on
 Jan 24th (4.5-RC).

 The first problem is that /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ruby.mk has a '.if' check on
 RUBY_DEFAULT_VER (around 138, I think), but on my stable box it's
 possible to hit that line with RUBY_DEFAULT_VER still being undefined.
 I duplicated the line which sets that to 1.6 if it isn't already set.

 I then ran into a problem where "Building for portupgrade-20020128" runs
 into an error of "make: don't know how to make configure.  Stop", while
 it is in /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/work/pkgtools-20020128.
 Perhaps some other parts of bsd.ruby.mk are not getting setup correctly
 in -stable (or at least, not in MY snapshot of -stable).  The same
 problem happens if I try to do it by hand:
      cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
      make

 Note that I had much better success on my -current system.  One I
 corrected the pkg_tarup problem, and got around the ruby-uri problem as
 mentioned in a different PR, portupgrade was able to upgrade itself
 without hitting these problems.

 I have cvsup'ed the ports collection on both systems, several times over
 the last two days, and I still can't rebuilt portupgrade on my stable
 system.

 ---
 Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     gad@gilead.acs.rpi.edu
 Senior Systems Programmer           or     gad@FreeBSD.org
 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA