Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:16:54 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>
Cc:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>, dougb@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/34172: xscreensaver 4.00 problem with GNOME

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 12:42:36AM -0800, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> I implore anyone responsible for packaging xscreensaver or Gnome
> distributions to throw away the screensaver-properties capplet that
> comes with gnomecc, and use the one that comes with xscreensaver
> instead.

On FreeBSD we've done just that, although there was a little flamefest
when the changes where made to the port, because when --enable-gnome is
supplied to xscreensaver it moves the location of it's configuration
files.  It's probably going to result in xscreensaver being patched to
always put it's files in the same place, because that way we don't have
to have the ugliness of working out where the files are before
generating a packaging list.

What are your feelings on always putting the files in the same place?

(I've cc'd the flamers ;)

<off topic>
As for GNOME distributing things.  All I can say is that as someone
who's been working on FreeBSD's GNOME ports for three years now, I've
lost hope that the GNOME maintainers will ever understand the concept of
release engineering.

I got my first response to a patch to gnomemedia that I submitted in May
1999 (adding FreeBSD support to gtcd), claiming the bug was resolved, as
invalid, because the code had changed in between...  I nearly went and
changed the license on the patches so they can never be licensed under the
GPL.
</off topic>

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/