Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:49:19 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   One more ccdconfig question

Hello !

I'm planning to use ccd on our cache server. Currently this machine has
one 3.2 GB e-ide drive which is dedicated to cache spool and another e-ide
drive holds system partitions. Some days ago I got two 4.5 GB Quantum
Viking fast20-wide drives and an ASUS ncr controller (Symbios Logic sc875
chipset). Ok, all this stuff works now fine and I have some experience
with ccd too. Fine until now.

Reading ccd manpage suggest interleaving factor only for news servers and
list archives contains this too. Whereas I'm not admin, but my work is
pointed to help out our admin (we are friends and work very closely) , I
don't know much about cache server real needs for disk subsystem except
this one is very disk intensive. As news server is disk intensive, too, I
think interleave factor in the range 65536 or up is enough ?

Are there guidelines for planning interleave factor for different servers
on different disk systems (capacity, number of drives and controllers
etc.) ? There are only little remarks in the man page about it.

Thanks

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee