Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:51:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sysctls for hardware monitoring?

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Joerg Micheel wrote:

JM>On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:08:16PM +0100, Harti Brandt wrote:
JM>> It's just annoying to need a special program to get at the values. For
JM>> some parts of the MIB, like the interface MIB, even sysctl doesn't help -
JM>> you need to write a program to look at these. I still think, its easier to
JM>> read the fan speed by cat(1)-ing a file, than to fire up a special
JM>> program for this.
JM>
JM>It really is user convenience against kernel bloat. I have a Linux
JM>device driver which tries to provice a /proc entry. The amount of
JM>printf() style crap in there is really disgusting and it does not even
JM>report half of what it should. I've long ago decided that for anything
JM>other than the trivial case a binary interface is the only way one can
JM>deal with these situations. It is unfortunate for the few of us who
JM>like Plan9, but how big a bitter pill are you prepared to swallow.

Files don't have to be ascii, do they? There is hexdump and other stuff.
And, reporting fan speed and temperature doesn't seem to be the case for a
complicated binrary interface.

<SOAP>
Taking a Linux driver to argue against
something doesn't really make sense. There is so many crap in the Linux
kernel, that you can argue against anything: "The crappy unix domain
sockets don't work in Linux. Oh yeah, they are a bad idea anyway..."
</SOAP>

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private