Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:48:50 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Subject:   Re: Hubs and switches (was: uninformed qstn...)

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 02:11:31PM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I've seen little difference.  But DON"T BUY A HUB!  Buy a switch
> instead.  They'll give you better performance, and they hardly cost
> any more.

Great advice. It looks like Cisco has even stopped listing hubs for sale
- layer two switching seems to firmly in control these days :-)

> I have three switches in my network: a Cisco 2900 (24 ports), a
> Netgear FS105 (5 ports) and a D-Link DSS-8+ (8 ports), in rapidly
> decreasing order of cost.  I've never had any trouble with any of
> them.  It's possible that the cheap switches might have trouble with
> sustained throughput: an 8 port 100 Mb/s switch can theoretically be
> confronted with a load of 800 Mb/s.  I believe the D-Link can do this
> speed, though I can't find the docco.  No 100 Mb/s hub will have a
> bandwidth of more than 100 Mb/s, however, and even that is limited by
> collisions.

It's even worse than that. With full duplex being common, that switch
could theoretically have to cope with 1600Mb/s. For $50, the fact that
they do so fairly reliably is amazing.

- Tillman

--
Page xxviii: Live with Unix long enough and you will change. You will
become more creative, and you will come to understand the spirit of