Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2017 13:41:05 -0330
From:      Jonathan Anderson <jonathan@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   X input: devd, dbus, hald, evdev... ???

Hi all,

It seems like there's been a lot of churn in X lately, so I have a few
questions about the current state of play for input devices. Apologies
in advance for the barrage. :)

I notice that the handbook
(https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html) doesn't mention
dbus or hald, so are they not needed any more? Is everything meant to be
handled automatically through devd? Should I remove the hald_enable line
from /etc/rc.conf? dbus_enable?

How does evdev/webcamd fit into the picture? I see that devd is starting
an instances webcamd for my touchpad and touchscreen, but when I install
xf86-input-evdev, it does funny things to my keyboard input.

Should X be able to detect input devices under /dev/input automatically,
or do I need to explicitly configure them? I think that I need an
explicit driver config for my drm-next setup, so does that mean that I
also need to create explicit ServerLayout, Screen, Keyboard, Mouse,
etc., files in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?

In sum... how is this all meant to fit together?

Thanks,

Jon

--
jonathan@FreeBSD.org