Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 96 14:55:03 -0400
From:      John Soward <soward@neworder.cc.uky.edu>
To:        Dayton Clark <dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Server 720

I'd be willing to be that FreeBSD-smp will not work on the 720, in fact, I'd
wonder if FreeBSD would work at all on the 720...I'm interested in any
experiences with the 704 (P-Pro), though...

The 720 uses a proprietary scheme for connected the CPUs (c-bus II) as opposed
to following Intel's guidlines. Also it has, in addition to PCI and EISA,
MicroChannel stuff in it. Just to add to the complexity, their C-bus II design
lets you put in CPUs of variying speeds, and they use an L3 cache.

Now the 704 uses what looks like a little more standard scheme, although it
sticks you with the 4 CPU max (512K P-Pros). I'd love to hear about any
experiences with this unit.

thanx,
---
John Soward		<a href="http://neworder.cc.uky.edu/">JpS</a>;
Systems Programmer 	'The Midnight sun will burn you up.'
University of Kentucky    (NeXT and MIME mail OK)         -R. Smith