Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:35:35 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   setting system time

<<On Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:31:44 -0800 (PST), kline@tera.com (Gary Kline) said:

>   In the unlikely event that anybody else has bumped into
>   the problem of correctly setting the local system time,
>   one way is to siimply put the TZ=<LOCALTIME> ; export TZ
>   into /etc/rc.

This is not a very good thing to do.  <LOCALTIME> (by which I assume
you mean the SysV-style XXX9YYY goop) is very poorly defined, and many
parts of the world have timezone rules of sufficient complexity that
this is simply insufficient.

The correct way to set the local timezone is the following:

Either	1) run tzsetup(8)
or	2) rm -f /etc/localtime;
	   cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/your/time/zone /etc/localtime

`your/time/zone' is of the form `region/city', where `region' is
usually a continent or ocean, and `city' is the name of the most
populous city in the zone.  For example, the US Eastern Time zone file
is called `America/New_York'; the version of Central European Time
practiced in Germany is called `Europe/Berlin', and so on.  If the
file for your country and zone gives incorrect results, please file a
problem report.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.