Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:01:56 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Florian Smeets <flo@smeets.im>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fuse problems

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:29 AM, Florian Smeets <flo@smeets.im> wrote:
> On 10/29/2012 07:46, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Florian,
>>
>> After updating fusefs-libs to 2.9.9 I fould serious problems with an
>> NTFS file system. I am using the new fuse kernel code on 9-Stable on
>> an amd64 system.
>>

> I don't think it is related to the fusefs-libs update to 2.9.2.
>
> Can you please replace sysutils/fusefs-kmod with this version and revert
> the fuse changes from your source tree?
> http://people.freebsd.org/~flo/fusefs-kmod.tar.bz2
>
> Reinstall fusefs-libs (2.9.1 or 2.9.2 shouldn't matter) and ntfs-3g, and
> please try to copy something again. (after repairing the filesystem
> obviously :))
>
> Please also make sure that the old fuse.ko is gone from
> /usr/local/modules, and make absolutely sure that you load the new
> module. You should see
>
> fuse-freebsd: version 0.4.4, FUSE ABI 7.8
>
> in /var/log/messages.
>
> I only have a "real" NTFS partition on a 10-current host, but with
> fusefs-libs-2.9.2 and the in tree fuse code i was able to copy the
> complete source tree to the NTFS partition without problems. So with my
> new fusefs-kmod port it should work the same on 9.x. It does if I create
> an md backed NTFS partition on a 9.x host and copy stuff over.

You may be right, but I have done quite a bit of testing of the new
kernel code with fusefs-ntfs and it had not given me any problem until
this one that bit the day I upgraded fusefs-libs.. It was pretty
nasty, but runnig a disk check on Windows fixed the problems though I
lost all files copied to that system since the problem cropped up. Irt
was part-way through a transfer of about 20 files totaling 150 or 200
MB.

I should mention that the files were all copied over a network that
was performing poorly due to a memory leak in the router. I can't see
how that could have been tied to the problem, though.

I'll upgrade fusefs-lib again tomorrow, but I'm moving this weekend
and getting things ready to go, so I probably will not be able to do
much testing.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com