Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:21:45 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yet another unsupported PHY in fxp driver

>It seems that the NetBSD folks have eliminated this ongoing pain in the
>butt by using the mii interface for the intel cards. Is freebsd also moving
>in this direction? Every few months there seems to be a problem, and its
>difficult to fix it without docs

   The primary problems that have resulted in the "unsupported PHY" messages
in the past year or so have been related to either the format or size of the
SEEPROM changing. Using generic MII code doesn't fix the problem; the fxp's
would still not work due to the MAC address being wrong, among other things,
which is also read from the SEEPROM.
   This said, I think it is generally the right approach to use a generic
MII PHY software interface and at some point the driver will likely be updated
for that. It is low priority, however, since it doesn't solve any problems.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.