Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:04:42 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new libmp imported

--gdTfX7fkYsEEjebm

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 07:44:33AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >
> > installed.  This would involve a repo copy of crypto/openssl/crypto/bn
> > to contrib/openssl-bn or something, and I'd keep the two in sync with
> > future vendor imports.
>=20
> You're likely to get people saying "repo bloat".  And it does seem a
> little wrong to have two copies in the tree like that.
>=20
> Just what programs are affected by this issue (ie, which use libmp)?

I don't have the list to hand right now, but they all related to the
"secure RPC" code which arguably should be in the crypto distribution
anyway.

> > can get it to work, so much the better.  That said, right now
> > everything that uses libmp could be considered `crypto' code, anyway,
>=20
> I don't see anything wrong with that.  At this point the `crypto' code
> should be seen as virtually required.  Originally was was "optional"
> because of USA export laws.  That is not an issue today.

We've tried to take the position that the crypto collection is useful
and installed by default, but that the system should be fully usable
without it.  Not everyone lives in the USA, and other countries still
have repressive crypto laws which might otherwise prevent them from
using FreeBSD.

Kris

--gdTfX7fkYsEEjebm

--gdTfX7fkYsEEjebm--