Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:29:16 +0800
From:      "freebsd-questions" <freebsdquestions@fil.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   After Proxy Bandwidth Management

I am trying to limit (dummynet, AltQ, or something else) a
clients "after proxy" bandwidth but give them full
unrestricted access to the proxy cache and servers.

Perhaps a setup something like this.

     client

     portmaster 2E       +-- EMAIL HTTP / FTP / DNS
        |               /
     switch/hub - - - - - -  SQUID PROXY
        |               \
     firewall            +-- RADIUS / DNS

     router

     128 Kbps Line

Port 80 redirection takes place at the firewall to the Squid
Proxy (IP Filter works fine, but I am told this will also
work with natd).

The goal is to allow higher speed access to our hub, but
limit the amount each user can have (after the proxy) in
accessing the outside world.  With limits of 4Kbps going up
by 2Kbps jumps (i.e. 4Kbps, 6K, 8K, 10K, 32K etc.)

The ALTQ docs don't give a lot of hope for "slow"
connections like 512 Kbps (much higher than ours!).

If would be nice to be able to allow use of other client's
bandwidth when they were not using it...  Or...
at least be able to change settings, like one set of
dummynet rules for 4pm-midnight (our peak time), another set
for 9AM to 4 pm when it is not too crowded - but still a
higher per client limit, and another set for midnight to 9AM
(our slowest time - or maybe no restrictions during this
time).

Any advice?

aLan