Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:46:56 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, "Andrew Hotlab" <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How to better update a jail host system

Quoting "Andrew Hotlab" <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com> (Thu, 20 Dec 2007
14:34:35 +0100):

> > > All that is working fine now, but I wonder if I could speed up the
> > > whole process, by switching to the binary update method. By using
> > > the freebsd-update(8) utility on the host I think to maintain the
> > > system cleaner (this utility only updates the installed
> > > distributions) and to reduce the administrative effort (no
> > > mergemaster(8) required, I'm right?).
> >
> > I don't know how freebsd-update handles the changes in /etc, but it
> > can not do magic (for the update you have to update the basejail, and
> > as such freebsd-update doesn't know about the etc directory of each
> > jail), so something like mergemaster has to be done. I also don't know
> > how it handles old (removed) files, maybe is doesn't touch them, to be
> > on the safe side.
>
> That's another aspect I wasn't thinking of. How important might be to
> update files in the /etc directory in the jails, when tracking the
> security branch?

There may be no change in /etc, except when there's a security patch
needed there, and then you most likely want this change.

> > Regarding the distributions which you haven't installed: you can
> > exclude parts from building/installation. If you have a 7.x system,
> > you can do "man src.conf" for all the options
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=src.conf&apropos=0&sektion=0&;
> > manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE&format=html). 6.x has similar options, but
> > IIRC you have to specify them in
> > make.conf.
>
> I definitely think I'll do that from now on, and I'll likely continue
> upgrading the host by building it from sources: I'll have to maintain
> the sources anyway, because of the ezjail update procedure, and there
> will be some kernel modifications that I'll need in the future to
> improve performance on the host system (for example, do you think it
> would be a nice idea to build nullfs support into the kernel?).

It doesn't matter if nullfs is loaded as a module or if it is compiled
into the kernel.

On my systems I use a small kernel (everything which can not be loaded
as a module and doesn't change the behavior depending on kernel
options) and load what I need as a module.

Bye,
Alexander.