Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:34:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, S?ren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Subject:   Re: Recommended partitions for a 20 GB disk

S?ren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk> wrote:
 > I have gotten a new old server. The default patitions only leaves
 > 128MB for '/', is that not a little to little?

I still have a machine running 4-stable with only 50 Mbyte
in the root file system.  /var, /tmp and /usr are all
separate, of course.

Having said that, I'd recommend at least 150 Mbyte for the
root file system on new installations.  It leaves more room
for various things, e.g. debug kernels (which are huge).
I also like to keep several generations of backup copies of
/etc on my root file system (call me paranoid).

Also, the space required by kernel modules seems to be
growing fast.  Another point:  If you enable soft-updates
on your root file system, you'll run into trouble when you
do an installworld and there's not much space left.

 > Do you guys have any recommendations? I will offcause place most
 > things under '/usr', bu surely '/' must be able to contain quite some
 > MB's too, after all 'bin' and 'sbin' are placed under '/'.

Depending on what you're going to use that machine for, it
might even be a good idea not to make /usr a separate file
system.  In that case, of course, the root file system
should be a lot larger.  Of course, /var and /tmp should
always be separate from the root file system.  Other
candidates are /home and possibly /usr/local.

Regards
   Oliver