Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:34:33 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphics card

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:56:56 -0500, ajtiM wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have an old computer but it works good still :). I use KDE and GIMP and I
> like to use Krita more but a problem is graphics card and it is slow (Gimp is
> okay).
> I have ASUS P4P800 mother board and ATI Radeon 9000 AGP graphics card. I look
> for some Nvidia AGP cards (opengl 2.0) but the problem is because my
> motherboard AGP supports +1.5V only.
> Which gr. card would be better than my but I could use on my motherboard,
> please?

I've been using an ATI Radeon 9200 (RV250) with XFree86's
and later X.org's "ati" driver without any problems. Even
shooters did play very well. I've also been using Krita and
Gimp on that system (Pentium 4 based mainboard), running
FreeBSD 4, 5 and 7.

There are several options for X you can tweak, and the
native "ati" driver is excellent for the older ATI models.
Make sure you have DRM/DRI working, and check for GL
support (glxinfo, glxgears, xvinfo; install xlockmore
and see "xlock -nolock -mode fire").

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany