Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:52:27 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        "Henry B." <cryptix@riseup.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon HD 4350 - no DRI / only Software Rasterizer under FreeBSD 9.0?

On 11/29/12 08:50, Henry B. wrote:
> It really feels like I'm running out of options and fear I have to go
> back to Linux until the KMS stuff blows over and more recent drivers
> arrive on *BSD.. Or get a NV replacement card.. Thanks again and kind
> regards, Henry
>

>From a solve-this-problem rapidly perspective, I'd just go and grab
another card, including nVidia...some are very cheap even at mark-up
office supply stores. I hate to recommend the blob, but if it works for
you then at least you can run FreeBSD with full drm support. I don't
have a lot of blob experience, so I'll defer to the forums/others on that...

BTW, I think the max window size that is limiting your config would not
change with DRI, nor would rotation. I could be wrong there, I've never
tried a radeon with no dri before. This is another vote for a different
card...I know on intel cards at least this value was not changeable, DRI
or otherwise.

So a little googling does show this issue appearing on Linux when UMS is
enabled for some users. "rv710 startx" yields most of them...most
recommend turning on KMS to resolve. It's quite possible this is a bug
that is only UMS related (as it seems to be around mode setup time) and
is henceforth ignored upstream. If you're interested in getting *this*
card to work, it might be time to dig in the sources. Since it works
without DRI enabled, it's probably not edid or connector table or
pll...I missed that.

I have another radeon at home that might be rv710, I can try and see if
the problem is still evident on CURRENT + NEW_XORG.

Matt