Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 00:01:06 -0700
From:      Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk@easystreet.com>
To:        Bill <ankzt@maine.60north.net>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, Edirol <edirol@anime.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd - ping crash

I have just confirmed this panic from a non-FreeBSD unix machine with a
target of my FreeBSD machine running 3.3 release with natd (same Ethernet
segment).

From a non-FreeBSD Unix machine, as root, I did

	 ping -f -R <freebsd-machine>

Instant causes panic (takes less than 1 second elapsed time)
on FreeBSD machine:

I looked, and has already been reported as bug kern/11199. It really is a
"panic", rather than a "simply reboot". The difference is that the kernel
says it's syncing disks, etc. Then the kernel says

	automatic reboot in 15 seconds

So, unless you're right at the console and watching, the FreeBSD
machine doesn't have any "sign of panic". But it really did panic.
It just rebooted almost immediately and the panic message scrolled
off the screen.

Needless to say, I immediately tried the suggested fix and added the
following IPFW rule:

	$fwcmd add deny log ip from any to any ipoptions rr

This fixed the problem. I let ping -f run for a few minutes and there
was no panic even after 26,000 pings.