Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:47:36 -0600
From:      Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@dimensional.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ordinary user mounting floppy question/problem

Hello everyone,

Can a ordinary user on a FBSD 2.2.2 system mount a 1.44M floppy drive.
(I read somewhere that it's not allowed?). If it can be done, I'm sure
running out of idea why as root I can, but not as anybody else. All
attempts return:

  mount_msdos /dev/fd0.1440 /mnt		(or mount -t msdos ...)
  mount_msdos: /dev/fd0.1440: Operation not permitted

I can't remember if I ever had this work before and am not sure if
incorrect permissions are causing problems (a couple chown|grps -R 's
got away from me). I've tried all kinds of permission combos on /dev,
/dev/fd0*, /sbin/, /sbin/mount, and /sbin/mount_msdos without any
success. Thanks for any light on this!

Gerard Giamberdine