Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:44:42 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   bind redirect webpage

I'm not where I usually collect my email, and mailing lists,
so please reply directly to this email address...

Quick question, my reference book is back in the office.
I need to redirect a web page to a new site. In the file
db.domain_name there is an A record as follows:

www	IN	A	###.###.###.###

where the ###.###.###.### points to the ip address of
the appropriate web server. Now the client wants to
point to a new web site (not at my location) that has
been setup for a new version of their name. The goal
is that typing www.original_name.com will bring up
the web page for www.new_name.com without the
user needing to do anything. Since I'm not controlling
the new site I don't want to use an ip address because
the isp of the new site might change the ip. Can I simply
change the A record from pointing to an ip address to
pointing to the new name? Like the following:

www	IN	A	www.new_name.com

Maybe it should be a CNAME instead of an A record?
Like I said, I'm not in the office now, and can't access
my Bind reference book. Also, again, please respond
directly to this address since I'm not subscribed to this
list on this machine. Thanks for the help...

Cla.