Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:14:29 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@firepipe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP as a module; followup thoughts

On 2009.04.21 23:16:58 -0600, Will Andrews wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a patch (against 8.0-CURRENT as of r191369) which makes
> it possible to build, load, run, & unload CARP as a module, using the
> GENERIC kernel.  It can be obtained from:
>
> http://firepipe.net/patches/carp-as-module-20090421.diff

I don't have any comments on the specific patch, but with my FreeBSD
end-user hat, being able to have CARP in GENERIC would be really
great.  This would allow me to update my systems which use CARP with
freebsd-update without manually compiling a kernel.

So if the patch doesn't penalize the non-CARP case much, I think it
would be great to have this functionality for now, even if it's not
the way to go in the long run.

--
Simon L. Nielsen