Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 06:18:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Arne Steinkamm <arne@Steinkamm.COM>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation tools...)

> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> >> maybe this should really be moved to chat ?
> >
> > Done
> >
> >> I talked to a German journalist at a trade show last year (from iX,
> >> one of the better UNIX rags here), and basically told him that they
> >> had too much of a Linux bent. His reply was basically "we can't publish
> >> articles we don't have."
> >
> > Precisely.
> >
> >> The German magazines seem to think that there are only 4 OSes: DOS,
> >> WINDOWS, NT and Linux. Whenever they talk about a non-M$ OS (although
> >> one can argue that M$ doesn't have any real OS), then it's ALWAYS Linux.
> >> Even the UNIX rags are like that.
> >
> > I think this is our fault more than anything else.  As you just noted,
> > if nobody provides them with articles to publish about FreeBSD then
> > the OS world is going to look somewhat smaller to someone in the
> > publishing business.
>
> I don't have a problem with writing articles about FreeBSD.  I *do*
> have a problem with iX, for whom I wrote a number of articles
> (including, to the best of my knowledge, the very first article in any
> magazine about BSD/386).  I find the people stubborn, arrogant and
> stupid.  I have therefore decided not to have anything to do with them
> again.

Funny... long ago i ask exactly the same magazine about printing my paper
about the BSD Unixes...
And guess what: The answer was: No, all people are speaking about linux, there's
		no need for a BSD article.
My answer: You're the press, the people speak about that, what you write...

Then i asked someone else working in the same publishing house about this and
he said: As long as the Heise publishing house makes it's money with the
linux CDs distributed by it's daughter company e-media, there will be not
much BSD topics inside it..

So long..

.//. Arne

--