Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:27:46 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -newbies

Rick Hamell wrote:

>         My major problem is that the questions that are being asked in
> newbies, are not newbie questions! Asking about setting up a pccard, or
> NATD, or DNS, or firewall filters are not in my mind newbie-type
> questions.

What exactly are appropriate questions? There will always be someone on
any list who won't follow the rules, but what about the rest of us?

The intricacies of NAT or DNS certainly don't belong here. But what
about installation issues (if you can't get it installed, odds are
you're a newbie)? What programs to use (tcsh or bash)? Etc. If some
questions are allowed but others are not, then there should be some sort
of guidelines as to what is okay.

I'm not trying to be belligerant. I fully understand your points. But I
think -newbies should be more than just "I did something cool with
FreeBSD last night." We are mere beginners with FreeBSD. That's why
we're called newbies. At least give us a chance to learn to walk before
demanding we run with the big boys.

> But when was the last time such a question came across? In the
> last year, I believe I've only seen one, maybe two posts that I think are
> ontopic for -newbies.

Huh? Are you serious! I recall discussions on the merits and
disadvantages of various window managers, tales of triumph and woe,
talks on the documentation situation as it applies to newbies, and of
course the recent magazine discussion. All of these were appropriate
because they were discussed by *newbies* from a *newbie* perspective.
Geez, if we can't even talk about where to find documentation written
for newbies, then go ahead and nuke the list because it's pretty
useless...

David