Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:50:52 -0700
From:      "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cleanout & rebuild of /dev on -current

Hi,

   Interesting question was posed to me which I can't
locate a straight answer to.

   We've been following -current for a few years now.
Over time, the devices in /dev have moved around, new
added, and old deleted (ie: we've never had to restage
one of these machines and/or purge it and reinstall).

   So, what would the correct sequence be to wipeout
/dev and recreate it? (create /dev in an alternate
location and compare the two...??)

   Given that the above can be automated on a live
system, is this something that can/should be added
to make installworld/world?  (or atleast generate
a report of changed devices, or devices that can
nolonger be created..)

   Comments welcome.

-John