Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:00:20 -0800
From:      Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>, dougb@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/34172: xscreensaver 4.00 problem with GNOME

Jeremy Lea wrote:

> On FreeBSD we've done just that, although there was a little flamefest

And there was much rejoicing.

> when the changes where made to the port, because when --enable-gnome is
> supplied to xscreensaver it moves the location of it's configuration
> files.  It's probably going to result in xscreensaver being patched to
> always put it's files in the same place, because that way we don't have
> to have the ugliness of working out where the files are before
> generating a packaging list.
>
> What are your feelings on always putting the files in the same place?

I don't care where the files get installed, really; that's usually a
platform-specific religion (Solaris likes /opt, SGI likes /usr/freeware,
etc.)  When you're building your packages, just invoke ./configure with
whatever --with-configdir you prefer.

I think it's the right thing for the *default* to be to put it in the
Gnome place on gnome systems, and in the X place on non-Gnome systems.
But it's only a default...

I don't know how the fbsd build system works, but I assume that
somewhere you've got a script that invokes configure -- so you shouldn't
need to patch xscreensaver itself, you just need to invoke configure
with the args you like.

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz@jwz.org             http://www.jwz.org/