Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 15:26:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: proposed socket change (IPFW too? :)

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > It's only truly associative with the socket itself, if you think about it. I'd like to see
> > what David thinks about this change, since networking is seemingly 'his' where IPFW is
> > 'yours'.
>
> nothing is mine, and certainly not IPFW -- i merely added the dummynet
> hooks!

Your sound drivers (and PnP too, right?) are both yours; and you seem to be
the big IPFW maintainer right about now.

> > > On the ipfw side, yes i think the switch to locate & check credential
> > > can be simplified by merging the final part (and perhaps even the
> > > in_pcblookup() calls).
> >
> > Yes, I think I'll clean up ipfw :) Parts of it are due for a rewrite, as the code has grown
> > unwieldly.
>
> correct. however, with rules being so "complex" (lots of things you can
> specify in a rule) the kernel part cannot be simplified a lot. The
> userland code, on the other hand, would really deserve some cleanup!

It cannot be simplified a lot, but it can definitely be cleaned up,
reorganized, and optimized. ipfw.c itself is REALLY gross to try to use,
and maybe it's due for a rewrite too.

> 	cheers
> 	luigi

>   Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
>   http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
>   TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
>
> 		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
> ====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \ _ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/