Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 00:23:29 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, gurney_j@efn.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org, peter@spinner.netplex.com.au
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

>> This is what I know about the "make world" problem:
>>
>> (1) It only breaks on some programs, most notably vi during termcap
>>     compilation.  There should be some other programs before vi that
>>     use getcwd(), I wonder why they don't die.
>I looked at the diffs between 2.2.1 and 2.2.5, and it looks like the
>call that we might be hitting is the new issuid...  I KNOW that this

I thought this was well known.  getcwd() is a library function with a
standard interface, so incompatibilities are easy to avoid, and are
avoided.  issetugid() is a syscall with a new interface.  It can't
possibly work with old kernels.  Unfortunately, ex(1) uses it, at
least for the termcap script.  It is surprising that it isn't used
more for `make world', since it is sometimes called by setlocale().

Bruce