Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:12:27 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Lovasko <daniel.lovasko@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vt(4) fnt format

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 09:45, Daniel Lovasko <daniel.lovasko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The vt(4) virtual terminal allows changing the current font via the
> vidcontrol(1) utility. Some fonts can be found in "/usr/share/vt/fonts",
> where these font files have the ".fnt" extension.
>
> Is there an available description of this format?

The data structures are defined in sys/sys/font.h, and there are some
comments that explain the format. As I look now though I see at least
one error that I'll correct soon (the comment refers to two glyph
maps, but there are four).

A font file starts with a font_header struct, followed by glyph data
(of size determined by fh_width, fh_height, and fh_glyph_count) and
four sets of maps (each of a size determined by fh_map_count[]).