Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:06:11 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        langfod@dihelix.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with current (and stable) with TYAN MB

>On Feb 26,  0:45, "David Langford" wrote:
>} Subject: Problem with current (and stable) with TYAN MB
>}
>} TYAN TITAN III
>} Award v2.5
>} also with latest MR. BIOS bios
>}
>} PCI info:
>} CHIP:0 Intel 82437 Triton PCI cache memory controller rev 1 on PCI0:0
>} CHIP:1 Intel 82371 Triton PCI ISA          bridge     rev 2 on PCI0:7
>} CHIP:2 Intel 82371 Triton bustmaster IDE   controller rev 2 on PCI0:7
>}
>} It seems to hang at the end of the autoconfig part of the kernel boot.
>} All devices seem to probe just fine.
>} Windows95 seems to work very very very well on this board.
>} Has anyone heard of any problems like this.
>
>No, and you provided not much information
>that might help diagnose your problem ...
>What's your disk controller/drives and what
>other operating systems share the boot disk ?
>Did you make sure the root partition lies
>completely within the first 1024 cylinders ?
>
>Regards, STefan
> http://www.zpr.uni-koeln.de/~se			  <se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>

True I did not know what all to include in my first attempt at looking for
information to the problem.
This system was working on and intel Neptune board and another version of the Tyan motherboard. After a couple of exchanges with Tyan of the mother board
(and BIOS revisions) to correct what looked like a problem with spontaneous
reboots (in both BSD and Win95) we arrived witht the current motherboard.
Again the system works very well with Win95 - in fact I havent seen Win95
(at least this Win95 ) run this good before.
We tried swapping an IDE (boot drive is sd0 normally) drive in with Stable
on it and the same thing occurs.

We have tried different COAST (cache ram) modules and as I said before both
the standard Award BIOS and MR BIOS.

Here is config file:
(note no ep0 - learned that as soon as new ep driver was placed into current)
machine		"i386"
cpu		"I386_CPU"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
ident		PUGA
maxusers	24
config		kernel	root on sd0
options		"COMPAT_43"
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG
options		UCONSOLE
options		SCSIDEBUG
options		SCSI_REPORT_GEOMETRY
controller	isa0
options	"AUTO_EOI_2"
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options		HARDFONTS
options         MAXCONS=4
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1
controller	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk		wd2	at wdc1 drive 0
disk		wd3	at wdc1 drive 1
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1
device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
controller	pci0
controller	ahc1
device		vx0
options		PROBE_VERBOSE