Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 07:14:08 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some newbie questions

>3.while installation i missed out i suppose to give an
>ip address to the ethernet interface.so i have to
>always set it manually using ifconfig.how do i set it
>once and for all.

Remember, you can always run /stand/sysinstall again, even if
you don't want to run the full installation. Just select the
Configure opton and you can readjust lots of your paramters. It's
like a better editor for your /etc/rc.conf.

In your case, select Networking, then Interfaces and select
your interface (in my case it is dc0). It will pop the window
back up for all this information. When you're done, it will
update the rc.conf for you.

Now, it does this in a very simple fashion, just adding lines to
the end, which override any previous lines. It is a good idea
to go in and remove redundant lines every now and then, if you
run /stand/sysinstall often.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog: