Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2007 11:44:16 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        drgerlists@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome Accessibilty filters go way randomly, hald problem

--=-7OjM247eyA87zasJCdCT

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 11:40 -0400, Dr. Gary E. RAFE wrote:
> I have a client who has a Toshiba notebook running
> 6.2-R and Gnome 2.16.1_2 from packages.
>=20
> So far, her experience has been somewhat aggravating:
>=20
> [1] The combination of hald/dbus/policykit would work
>     once or twice to automount a data CD or USB flash
>     drive, but would soon stop, complaining about
>     lack of permissions by the user, particularly when
>     trying to unmount the device.

Should be fixed in the latest version of HAL.

>=20
> [2] This model Toshiba has the (in)famous(?) keyboard
>     bounce problem in X11.  The Gnome Accessibility
>     filter that handles bounced keys takes care of this
>     when it is enabled.
>     The trouble is that the accessibility settings
>     just "go away" at random (while they never
>     get (re)enabled by themselves).
>=20
> In the first case, we put together a simple work-around
> after turning off the services of hald & policykit,
> but requires a bit more user interaction in a terminal
> window to "eject" removeable devices.
>=20
> The second problem persists, and I have *no* idea what
> Gnome is doing behind-the-scenes during her Gnome session
> to disable her previously enable accessibility settings.

These settings should be stored in GConf, but I have not played with
this feature, so I'm not sure what could be causing the settings ti
disappear.  There were quite a few accessibility problems fixed in GNOME
2.18.  You might consider upgrading.

Joe

--=20

--=-7OjM247eyA87zasJCdCT