Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:08:14 +0100
From:      Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about FRMR transmit, although docs say not to

Hi there,

I've just been sifting through the Q921 standard and I've come across something weird.
It says that upon *reception* of a FRMR (Frame Reject) frame, something should occur.
Fine.
It does not, however, state anywhere that a FRMR frame should be *transmitted* at any time. In fact, on page 143 it
states in a note:

"NOTE-An FRMR-response shall not be generated by a data link layer entity; however, on receipt of this frame actions
according to E5.8.6 shall be taken".

This has me puzzled, since if you don't transmit a certain frame at any time (according to the state machine
definition), you can't expect to receive it!

The above note is rather contradictory. My only explanation for it is that it's for back-compatibility with an older
protocol (1TR6?). Is this correct?

I've seen that i4b does in fact *transmit* this frame as well. Is this 1TR6 standard?

Cheers,

Gerald