Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:51:40 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fast a-d card

> Can anyone suggest a fast (40Mhz) 8 bit PCI A-D card with flexible
> DMA hardware or on board smarts from a company that provides
> technical info and believes in life outside of Windows?  This could
> be anything from a good fast flexible board to a oscilloscope board
> to a combo DSP/A-D card.

Datel have a very nice board that I got _that_ close to getting to use
recently.  The card itself provides the PCI interface & triggering, and
there are a pile of plugin modules to choose from.

We were looking at the 16-channel 250KHz plugin, but I'm fairly sure
there was a single-channel module at the 40MHz mark.

The card we were looking at was comfortably under the AUD$6000 mark; I
don't think the plugins vary a great deal in price.

> A single channel, the ability to level trigger, and chaining of
> DMA buffers with configurable done interrupt are the minimum
> requirement.

The PCI interface on these cards is provided by the AMCC 9533 PCI
Matchmaker; it has _most_ of what you want, but no DMA buffer chaining.
The card does have fairly deep FIFOs though, so you could probably do
your buffer chaining manually without too much stress.  AMCC were
more than happy to send me a copy of the databook for the 9533, and
Datel were likewise open about programming their card; for about
AUD$700 more we could have had the source to their DOS-based diagnostic/
test/harddisk-recorder program if we felt we needed examples.

You could try National Instruments, but getting data on their MITE PCI
interface ASIC is like kicking dead whales down the beach with a jelly
toothbrush nailed to a tree 8)

> PCI only - no ISA is available.

At 40MHz?  No shit 8)

mike