Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:28:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lorder problem: aout vs. elf (and GNU Configure problem too)

>From: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
>Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:21:39 +0000 (GMT)

>> > We must provide symlinks from
>> > 	/usr/bin/xxx -> /usr/libexec/{elf or aout}/xxx
>> > otherwise lots of ports will be broken.

>My gut feeling would be to put variant symbolic links in, and use a
>dollarsign ("$") to designate a kernel variant keyword:

>ln -s "/usr/lib.\${\$imgact}" /usr/lib

This is highly reminiscent of some of the {tri,ha}cks done with the
automounter & NFS in order to present the illusion of a single (say)
"/usrlocal/lib" in a heterogeneous environment -- /usr/local/lib would
turn out to be an automounter map entry that, for each (sufficiently)
different type of client, would point to an appropriately different
directory.

Just to provide another perspective.  (And please note that amd supports
automounter map entries that resolve to things that look like symlinks,
without doing any NFS mounts.  Thus, a person with sufficient time to
experiment might be able to cobble up some amd maps to accomplish
something very similar to the suggestion, without tweaking code at all.)

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621