Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 03:09:42 EDT
From:      BrentAHughes@aol.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot floppies

Hello,  I have tried the following procedure about 10 or 15 times in a number
of ways and I cannot get it to work.... I used Winimage to extract the iso
file to my hard drive on my win98 box.  I also used NTI cd-Maker to create a
cd from the iso.  I am using the 4.0 iso image release.  I have tried to
create the floppies from the extraction on my hard drive and from the cd I
created.  Neither has worked.  The machine that I want to install the OS on
is not cd-Rom bootable.  It is an old 486 w/ 2x cd-Rom.  The kern.flp and
mfsroot.flp files appear too large to install on floppies anyway as they are
1.47 megs plus.  I do not understand....

For a normal CDROM or network installation, all you need to copy onto
actual floppies from this directory are the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp
images (for 1.44MB floppies).

Get two blank, freshly formatted floppies and image copy kern.flp
onto one and mfsroot.flp onto the other.  These images are NOT DOS
files!  You cannot simply copy them to a DOS or UFS floppy as
regular files, you need to "image" copy them to the floppy with
fdimage.exe under DOS (see the tools/ directory on your CDROM or
FreeBSD FTP mirror) or the `dd' command in UNIX.

For example:

To create the kern floppy image from DOS, you'd do something like
this:

C> fdimage kern.flp a:

Assuming that you'd copied fdimage.exe and kern.flp into a directory
somewhere.  You would do the same for mfsroot.flp, of course.

I have gotten general protection faults.  I've had DOS accept the command and
then not do anything.  Etc etc...

I don't have a running Unix box on which to create the boot floppies in any
other manner.

Please advise.  And I hope your advice isn't "Buy the package from so-and-so
cdRom company for $39.95."

Thanks in advance for any help