Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:10:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        OpsyDopsy@netcabo.pt, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD through diskettes?

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Kal Torak wrote:

> Jo=E3o Fernandes wrote:
> >=20
> > Is there any available distribution of FBSD in diskettes? I was wonderi=
ng how could I install it in a portable PC without
> > CDrom :-/
>=20
> Considering how many disks that would take, I think it would probably
> be cheaper to buy a CD-Rom! :P

Probably the best option in this case is installing via parallel port from
another box.  It'll be much faster than floppies, and only requires a
cable, rather than a CD-ROM drive.  :)

It can be DONE on floppies, it just isn't fun.  I've only ever installed
from floppy once.  It was a bin only installation of version 1.something,
and it was on 5.25" disks, but it worked.  I most often installed from an
MS-DOS partition in those days.  I just kept the installation files on a
spare hard disk, so just pop it in as a slave, and go.

Plus, it would find the root disk on the msdos partition, so you only
needed one boot floppy.  (There were two disks back in those days, too.)

Later......=09=09=09=09=09=09<Doug>