Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:46:32 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: get{bin,micro,nano}[up]time() - what precision ?

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I'm soliciting input from users of the get*time() family of functions
> in the kernel on what the minimal desirable precision is.
>
> Currently they return a timestamp which is no more than 1/HZ out
> of date.  For contemporary values of HZ, that seems to be adequate.
>
> As people increase HZ to above 10000, it starts to cost more to
> update timecounters every tick, and the question naturally arises:
> what is the target resolution for get*time() functions ?
>
> Would anybody get in trouble if the precision never got better
> than 10msec, even for higher HZ ?
>
> If so, would 1msec be an acceptable limit ?

Hello,

I am investigating a "centralized clock" appliance, where a number of
FreeBSD PCs would spit out a more or less precise date on the Ethernet.

The goal would be : all FreeBSD PCs will run NTP, with a local GPS
clock, and will peer with the other PCs in order to be hardened against
the loss of a GPS box.

The FreeBSD PCs only run some kind of endless loop, copying the local,
"precise relative to UTC" time on Ethernet packets, sent approximatively
once every msec.

Thus, I would like to be able to read the local time at 2000Hz to (max)
5000Hz, with the correlative precision. Thus, 1msec seems to be a little
short on precision.

	Cheers

	TfH