Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:30:39 -0400
From:      wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT )
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp in auto mode question

Folks-
	I got 2.0.5R, (recent upgrade from 2.0R-cdrom) and love the ppp program.
One thing I don't understand... and want to know if anyone has seen the same thing
as me...
	If a user (not root) logs in, before ppp (that started at boot time, from
the rc.local as 'ppp -auto connect') ever made a connection, it does not try to
make a connection, and only will if the user tries to connect (ping, finger) the
main router that the ppp program knows about.  If the ppp program had made and,
after a timeout period, dropped the connection... the next time a shell is started
by a user, it automatically will try to connect to the host... even though no
network connection is being attempted by the user.  Has anyone seen this?  It does
not occur for root, and the .cshrc files are the same as the one created from the
adduser command, except the SHELL is changed to tcsh (from csh).  Ideas?

--
                           Virtually,
                           Edward Wolpert

-------------------------------  "The best way out is always
wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com |  through." - Robert Frost
wolpert@utk.edu                |
Truth is what you believe.     |  give you the world.' (tm)

Fnord.