Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 23:56:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Lowe <jlowe@fly.HiWAAY.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   New Problem

Well, I low level formated my hard drive with extended translation turned
off. I was able to install the file system, but a new <major> problem has
appeared. When I start to install the files from the CDROM everything goes
ok for a while then I get the error message:

Ahc0: target 4, lun0 (CD0) timed out Abort unsupported!!!

After this happens the system hangs BIG TIME. Even after a cold boot, the
controller card refuses to recognize either the hard or the CDROM drive. I
found that by removing the card from the system and replacing it the problem
will clear. I went through the whole scene three times. Same result all three
times. STRANGE. :-o

I can exit to the shell and everything looks ok. I can ls the file system,
ect...

I tried installing the man pages instead of the bindist just for kicks
the last time, same result. The system appears to be installing the files,
and then crashes.

I tried turning off all BIOS shadowing and caching, same result. This is
all very discouraging, I hope you have some ideas...

Thanks again,
Joe