Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:38:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directories disappearing?

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> Starting approx a week ago, directories have started to disappear from
> my -current system.  It only seem to affect directories in which files
> are added/removed (both operations have had directories disappearing
> under my feet).
>
> Anybody else that are having the same problem?  Any suspect changes?
> I've not had enough disk activity for the files in the directories to
> go away through proper unlinks - I've had a a directory with 3000
> files disappear with nary a sound from the disk.
>
> fsck is not reporting any problems with the disk this has happened on.

Tell more.  Are you running SMP?  Have you looked into your archive, are
the files really gone, or unhooked from cvs?

I'm suddenly having problems with my mailer locking up on sending a
message, I suspect it has to do with locking, and it's not common enough
for it to be reproducible yet.  I don't know ... it sounds like we need
more data.

> Eivind.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |