Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:47:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
To:        Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port 587 - submission

Its the new Mail Submission Agent.  It is a Good Thing (tm).  The only
problem is there aren't any (good) mail clients that support it yet, so
you can disable it by making a copy of /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc
and calling it <your server name here>.mc

Then add this line to the new file:
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')

Then in that same directory run:
make <your server name here>.cf
Then move /usr/obj/usr/src/etc/sendmail/<your server name here>.cf to
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf

That would be the Zen way to disable it.  The not-so-zen way to disable it
is to edit the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file and remove or comment out the
following line:
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E

I recommend using the Zen approach.  Also, the reason you want to make a
new file just for your server is the same reason you want to make a
separate file from the GENERIC kernel config file - The next time you
cvsup the source tree you have a really good chance of this mc file being
blown away.  If you make a copy of it, it will never get blown away and
you will be able to merge you local changes into the new freebsd.mc file
whenever it changes.

Robert Simmons
Systems Administrator
http://www.wlcg.com/