Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 13:30:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Grzegorz Czaplinski <G.Czaplinski@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/48095: Manual page for jail(8) does not mention mounting devfs under jail.

The following reply was made to PR docs/48095; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Grzegorz Czaplinski <G.Czaplinski@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 22:27:44 +0100

 --pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

 On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 07:55:39PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 > On 2003-02-08 21:08, Grzegorz Czaplinski wrote:
 > > The manual for jail(8) does not mention anything about mounting
 > > devfs under jail's /dev.
 >=20
 > This is true, but mentioning devfs only is probably incomplete.  The
 > proper way to handle this is to mention that
 >=20
 > # Jailed processes that need devices should have some sort of access
 > # to /dev nodes when they are inside the jail, imho.  It is then up to
 > # the administrator to choose how to implement this.  Either by
 > # mounting devfs under the /jail/dev directory or by manually calling
 > # MAKEDEV or mknod to create only those devices that are absolutely
 > # necessary.
 >=20
 > Would a note like the above paragraph be ok?
 >=20

 I would put it that way:
 # Jailed processes that need devices should have some sort of access
 # to /dev nodes when they are inside the jail. Making device nodes with
 # MAKEDEV or mknod is not sufficient. To let devfs(5) allocate device
 # nodes in your jail transparently do:
 	mount -t devfs devfs /jail/dev

 That was not sufficient for me to make device nodes with MAKEDEV or
 mknod. I have tested it rather heavily.

 Thanks,
 	Grzegorz
 --