Date:      Thu, 06 May 2010 07:10:25 -0400
From:      Boris Kochergin <spawk@acm.poly.edu>
To:        Atom Smasher <atom@smasher.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad RAM? prove it with a crash dump?

Atom Smasher wrote:
> i suspect i've got bad RAM but memtest has run through several dozen
> iterations without a problem. my (3 year old) laptop will run for a
> few days or weeks and then crash/freeze/hang. i've enabled crash dumps
> and i'm wondering if/how the dump might be able to (dis)prove that the
> RAM is bad. any ideas?
>
> thanks...

My experience with bad memory is that if it causes the machine to crash,
it won't always happen while the machine is running the same process (or
kernel thread)--so look for it crashing in a wide variety of places--and
upon inspection of the core dump, a pointer somewhere will be pointing
to garbage.

-Boris